Friday, June 5, 2009

Blessing from the Word today

It's been on my someday/maybe list for months to write a status update post here on our blog. I have no excuses; I've been busy like anyone else, but I should have taken the time to do it. This is one of the busiest weeks I've ever had, so I'm not gonna do the full status update now (I'd need my wife for that), but I do need to share a tremendous blessing I received this morning that's a little too long for Twitter or Facebook.


Many of you know the struggle we're going through right now. I haven't felt comfortable writing much information about it because it largely involves the inner workings of several major churches and some doesn't need to be public knowledge. Suffice it to say: we're moving to Dallas in a couple weeks or so and not one major thing has yet fallen into place. We nowhere close to selling our house, we have no place to stay in Dallas, we don't have a job, and I have yet to be admitted to grad school (the whole reason we're moving). Actually, as I'm writing this I'm seeing an email from DTS saying that I've been accepted! So there you go...

Anyway, we're ready to step out in faith and trust God for all those little details, but I'm really having a hard time turning over complete control over the provision and protection of my family. I've got this little delusion that I'm in some way responsible for those things, and it's really making this difficult. I told God this morning as I was leaving the house that I really needed to hear from Him today. As is my routine, when I got in the car I turned on Brian Hardin's 1 Year Daily Audio Bible. It took me a while to get used to this podcast and the presentation, but Brian really does the best and most reliable program of its kind, and it has really grown on me over the last year or so. Of course, God was so faithful and brought me comfort and peace when I really needed it. So I'd like to share with you some of what was in today's readings. I'm normally very opposed to the snatching of Scripture totally out of context to make it fit your particular needs, but...well...it's okay.

From II Samuel 24:
14Then David said to Gad, "I am in great distress. Let us fall into the hand of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but let me not fall into the hand of man."
24But the king said to Araunah, "No, but I will buy it from you for a price. I will not offer burnt offerings to the LORD my God that cost me nothing."

From Acts 3:
16And his name—by faith in his name—has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all.

From Psalm 123:
1To you I lift up my eyes,
O you who are enthroned in the heavens!
2Behold, as the eyes of servants
look to the hand of their master,
as the eyes of a maidservant
to the hand of her mistress,
so our eyes look to the LORD our God,
till he has mercy upon us.
3Have mercy upon us, O LORD, have mercy upon us,
for we have had more than enough of contempt.
4Our soul has had more than enough
of the scorn of those who are at ease,
of the contempt of the proud.
From Proverbs 16:
21The wise of heart is called discerning,
and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness.
22Good sense is a fountain of life to him who has it,
but the instruction of fools is folly.
23The heart of the wise makes his speech judicious
and adds persuasiveness to his lips.

All quotes from:English Standard Version (ESV)

The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers

Please continue to pray for us as we seek the will of the One who knows the plans He has for us. Pray for faith, for peace, for comfort and guidance. We're so thankful to all those with whom we've been able to share life here in Knoxville. Thanks to all who have loved, invested in, and supported our family through the years. We love and appreciate you more than you'll ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use comments to share public responses to a specific post. You must be a member of our blog in order to comment.